Thursday, November 3, 2016

PANDAN CHIFFON CAKE

I love Pandan Chiffon cake and have a number of recipes for this. I really like the Kianmianwong Extra Whites recipe that recommended by Dr Leslie from ieatishootipost, this was the recipe I used for my bake often.

All the Pandan Chiffon recipes are similar, all used same ingredients except different amount.  

Lately, I chanced upon a post from Ann of Anncoo Journal, her cake looked pretty as it had marble effect.  Hence, I decided to give it a try.  

I don't have any 17 cm tube pan at home, what I  have is either 14cm or  bigger than 20cm's pan.  Given of the constraint I had, I decided to use two 14cm tube pans and increase each ingredient amount by 1/4.  

I attempted to follow Ann to create marble effort but somehow it wasn't successful.  I think I used too little of the white batter in a small cake, hence it wasn't obvious.   



Lesson learned:   Next time I should use a bigger pan,  it's easier to handle when you have more batter volume and it will minimize deflating. 

Below is my recipe without marble effect, it's adopted from Ann with slight modification.

Ingredients
Group 1 (dry ingredients):
  • 85g cake flour  
  • 2.5 tbsp corn flour


Group 2:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 35g sugar
  • 80ml coconut milk + 20ml milk
  • 2 tbsp pandan juice extract
  • 62g rice oil


Group 3 (Meringue):
  • 5 egg whites
  • 55g sugar
(I omitted the cream of tartar since I can manage the meringue without it)


Instructions
  1. Preheat oven at 170 deg C. Sift the dry ingredients in 2-3 times (cake flour and corn flour) together and set aside.
  2. Combine egg yolks and sugar in another bowl, mix well. Add coconut milk and pandan juice and mix well.  And then followed by oil and blend well. 
  3. Add flour mixture (step 1) to egg mixture (step 2) into 2 to 3 times, mix well.  Set aside.
  4. To make meringue, beat egg whites slightly  (about 30 sec),  add sugar mixture in 3 separate rounds and beat until egg whites are glossy, with medium peaks.
  5. Fold the meringue (step 4)  into pandan mixture (step 3) and spoon them into two 14cm tube pan.
  6. Drop the pan gently on counter top to remove air bubbles.  Bake at 170 deg C for 35 -40 minutes (Use a toothpick and insert into the centter of the cake, if it's come out clean with no streaks of batter, it should be done)
  7. When the is done, remove from oven and turn the pan over immediately. Leave cake to cool (at least 3-4 hours) in the pan before removing it.

I will definitely bake again as I want to achieve the marble effect. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails