Friday, November 4, 2016

COFFEE YOGURT WALNUT CAKE

My elder daughter had been asking me to bake this Coffee Yogurt Walnut Cake but somehow, others jumped the queue first.  It wasn't my intention to delay her request, it was because this recipe required some ingredients that I hardly consumed at home.


 I'm not a cinnamon person, neither  I like yogurt.   Since I had the time this week, I decided to fulfill her request so as to satisfy her craving.  I searched through my old posts, realized that my last bake for something similar was in 2013.  So far back?  I can't believe.

To ensure not to repeat the same lesson learned, I read through my little note. Hence, for this bake, I amended the recipe to add the instant coffee powder to the batter instead of the crumbles.


Not sure why,  this cake turned out to be a bit sour.  I guess it must be the brand of the yogurt that I used.  Other than that, it's still the same texture - soft and moist with coffee and cinnamon fragrant.

If you like this cake, here you go ... 

Crispy Coffee Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven at 175*C for min. 15 mins. Baking Time: 55 -60mins.
- Baking pan: 7" square baking pan. Base lined with baking paper (Don’t grease the side). 

For Crumbles:
- 100g plain flour   } sift
- 50g brown sugar 
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder ( increase the amount if you like stronger taste)
- 50g butter (cold)
- 80g chopped walnuts or any nut (baked for 10 mins at 160*C, chopped coarsely)

For the Cake Layer
- 150g butter (cut into cube)
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 big eggs  (lightly beaten)  
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- a pinch of salt         
- 2tsp Nestle instant coffee powder (dissolved in a tsp of water )
- 2o0g cake flour            }sift together
- 1 tsp baking powder  }  
- 150g plain yogurt 


Method:
For Crumbles:
  1. Mix plain flour, brown sugar and  cinnamon powder  together, mix well.  
  2. Rub butter into flour mixture (step 1), mix well and make to a dough.
  3. Keep the dough in fridge till firmed.

For Cake Batter:
  1. Cream/beat the butter to soften (at low speed), add the sugar ( slow and then increase to medium speed) one at a time till complete. Beat till pale and fluffy (about 4-5 mins)
  2.  Add eggs, a small portion at a time till mix well.  Add vanilla essence, salt and coffee powder and then mix well. 
  3. With a spatula, stir in a portion of dry ingredients (cake flour  & baking powder), alternate with a portion of yogurt.  Complete the mixing and ensure it's fully incorporated.  Set aside.
To Assemble and  Bake:
  1. Remove the dough from the fridge, add chopped nut and rub into crumbles.  Spread 1/3 of crumbles evenly onto the base of 7" square pan, press firmly .  
  2. Add in half of the cake batter, spread evenly and then sprinkle another 1/3 of the crumbles.
  3. Pour in the remaining cake batter,  spread evenly.  Sprinkle the remaining of the crumbles.
  4. Bake in preheated oven at 170*C for 55-60 mins or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
  5. Remove the cake from oven, allow it to cool slightly before unmold.  Allow to cool completely before serving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails