Saturday, November 5, 2016

CHEESE LAYERED CAKE

After abandoning baking for 3 years, I am glad that my skill has not rusty yet.  I could still remember most of the basic skills.  I am also pleased with what I have achieved so far though I still need more practices in order to regain and improve my baking proficiency level.
The weather seems to turn wet lately, it rains almost every morning.  The bad weather has deterred me from my morning walk, that affects my mood and can make me quite depressed.  I like to exercise in the morning as it makes me refreshed and energised.  It also makes me feel good and healthy.  10,000 steps a day is really a challenge to achieve in the bad weather. I've been missing my target lately.  Haiz...  

When I am "confined" in my house, first thing come to my mind is to play with the flours, baking is therapeutic for me.  

Let's bake and enjoy the day! 

Cheese Layered Cake Recipe
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven at 175*C for 15 mins.
  •  Prepare a 8" round pan, grease base and line with baking paper. 

Ingredients: Egg Yolk Mixture:
  • 90g egg yolks 
  • 65g sugar
  • 3/4 tbsp water } premix
  • 20g milk         }
  • 15g melted butter ( microwave for 20 mins)
  • 115g cake flour (sifted)
  • 3/4 Rum (optional)
  • ½ tsp vanilla essence

Meringue: 
  • 175g egg whites 
  • 70g sugar                       
  • ½ tsp cream of tartar (optional)

Cheese Filling/Topping: (Add 50% more  if you prefer the cake to be more cheesy)
  • 250g Philadelphia cream cheese
  • 70g butter
  • 20g sugar
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 60-80g toasted almond flake

Instruction:
  1. Whisk egg yolk and sugar at high speed until light and thick (abt 4 mins).
  2. Stir in water and milk and then melted butter. Mix well.
  3. Change to low speed and stir in flour. Add vanilla essence and Rum to combine.  Set aside.
  4. To make meringue,  beat egg whites slightly foamy (about 30 sec),  add sugar and cream of tartar in 3 separate rounds and beat until egg whites are glossy, with medium peaks (about another 3 mins).
  5. Fold meringue (step 4) into step 3 using a spatula. Mix well (don’t overmix).
  6. Bake at 175*C for 40-45 mins. Remove from oven and rest to cool.
To Assemble:
  1. Cream the cheese, butter and sugar together at medium speed until light and creamy (2-3 mins). Add in lemon juice and vanilla essence, blend well.
  2. Slice cake horizontally into 3 layers. Spread 1/3 of the cheese over the bottom (1st layer) of cake.
  3. Repeat the same for 2nd and 3rd (top) layer of cake,  and cover the side (or top or both based on your preference) with almond flakes.

Blueberry Sauce for decor (optional):
  • 100g blueberry
  • 10g sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cornstarch (mix with a tsp of water)
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
Instruction:
  1. Blend the blueberries into puree and pour into a small saucepan with sugar over low heat.  
  2. Stir the cooked mixture till slightly thicken (about 3-4 mins), add lemon juice and cornstarch mixture, continue to stir till thicken. 
  3. Remove from heat and let cool before using it to decorate your cake.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails