Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

I heard so much about Red Velvet cake but after knowing what's in the recipe, I took a step back because of the huge amount of  red food coloring added.

 To me, Red Velvet cake is just a chocolate cake with red food coloring  it's really nothing special and unique.  I just don't understand why many people rave about it.  To stop my curiosity and prove myself wrong, I decided to try it out as my elder daughter is one of big fan for the Red Velvet cake.

I picked up this recipe from Nasi Lemak Lover's blog, the original recipe asked for buttermilk, however, I couldn't find it from nearby supermart, I decided to substitute with yogurt.   Since I didn't like too much artificial coloring in my food, I cut down the red food coloring from the original of 1 tbsp to 1 tsp. 


I realized that the baking time in the original recipe called for 25 mins at 180*C, based on my experience, it seemed too high for my oven.  I had then lower the temperature to 165*C with same baking time.   I think the baking time could be shorten as the texture of the bake was slightly dry.  

Initially, I didn't intent to frost the cupcake as I was too lazy especially in the weekday evening.  However, without the frosting, the cupcake was almost tasteless.  It's very disappointing! 

To remedy, I had no choice to work harder to make this cupcake edible.  Luckily, the cream cheese frosting managed to give the cupcake a level of taste boost and it tasted much better than before. Personally, I don't think I will bake this cake anymore as it's really nothing special and not to my liking.  I prefer something spongy and light than dense.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails