Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Chocolate Mousse Brownies

It's always a headache when comes to Birthday cake baking as I have run out of idea on what to bake.  In fact, for my mum, it should be easy as durian is her favorite, if not mango.  As I baked the same thing almost every year, I got very tired.  I wanted to give her something different this year.

Not everyone likes durian especially the kids.  My younger daughter doesn't like so do my niece.  It's always hard to please everyone.  I was cracking my head and suddenly I thought of this brownie - i.e. Chocolate Mousse Brownies.  I baked this once  but I wasn't very satisfied with the outcome and decided to give it another shot. 

After the last lesson learned, I decided to double up the mousse volume as the original recipe only allowed a very thin layer.   In addition, I tried to bake the brownie at 165*C instead of 175*C  to prevent over bake.  With a slight lower oven temperature, in fact, it took longer time, i.e. 12 mins.   

Another challenging part in Birthday cake baking is icing and decor.  It's something I have to beef up.  I hope I could allocate some time next year to pick up the necessary skill as I hope the appearance could give the person a very good impression.  I can't say my bake is fantastic in taste but I know it's at least above average.  

A regret that my mum is not a fan of chocolate at all, this is another lesson learned and I should never forget.  I decided that I should just bake her the same durian or mango cake next year.  Don't need to think so much and it won't go wrong!

The following recipe has been fine-tuned.  Happy Baking!


Preparation:-  Prepare 9" loose plan, base lined with baking paper.  -  Preheat baking at 165*C for min. 15 mins. 

Ingredients(I) For the brownies:
  • 125 g dark chocolate
  • 50 g butter
  • 140 g Condensed Milk
  • 1 tsp rum
  • 3 small egg (50g)
  • 65g plain flour                                }sift and mix well
  • 1 teaspoons baking powder        }
  • 120g lightly toasted walnut (chopped)


Method:

  1. Bring water to boil and off fire.  Melt the chocolate over double boiler hot water, add in butter and condensed mil and mix slowly.  Set aside it cool and add rum.
  2. Beat the eggs until foaming (5 mins) with a electric mixer, then add chocolate mixture (step 1) in.  Still well.
  3. Mix the sifted flour, walnuts and baking powder,  add them to the above chocolate egg mixture and mix slowly using a spatula. 
  4. Pour batter into the baking pan and bake in a 165°C preheated oven for 10-12 minutes (watch it) or when you touch the top near the centre of the cake, it sprinkles back. 
  5. Remove from the oven, let it cool down for 10 mins before removing the lined baking paper.  Keep in fridge  to allow it to cool down totally.


(II) For the chocolate mousse
  • 20 g gelatine + 4 tbsp of water 
  • 350 g dark chocolate 
  • 600 g whipping cream + 1tbsp caster sugar
Method: 
  1. Mix gelatine with water, melt under double boiler hot water. Keep warm and put aside.
  2. Melt chocolate under double boiler hot water, stir till smooth.  Set aside to cool.
  3. Beat whipping cream and sugar under cold water till stiff (2-3 mins).   (If you whip the cream first, please keep it in fridge to prevent melting)
  4. Gently stir in chocolate (slight warm) and gelatine.  Mix well.  
  5. Spread chocolate mousse evenly onto brownie (I) and chill in fridge.  (if the mousse is too runny, keep in fridge to harden before spreading onto brownie)

(III) For the ganache:
  • 150 g dark chocolate
  • 150 ml liquid cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp golden syrup
  • 1 1/2 - 2 tsp rum
Method: 
  1.  Add cream into a heavy duty cooking pot, bring to boil.  Off fire and then add in chocolate, golden syrup and rum.  Slowly stir till smooth. 
  2. Let ganache cool down (still runny) and then spread evenly over the chocolate mousse (Step II). 
  3. Chill the brownie in the fridge till set before serving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails