Saturday, September 15, 2012

Traditional Butter Cake

It had been a long while since last I baked butter cake.  Butter cake used to be my favorite cake for breakfast but after knowing how much butter is needed to produce good butter cake, I have taken a step back :(

But, there are still a lot of big fans out there like butter cake, that's why it is still in demand. 

After experiencing many recipes on butter cake, I don't want to try anymore new recipe as I'm quite satisfied with a few of the receipts I have on hand.  Since I felt like eating something lighter, I decided to use back this recipe.  

 After the lessons learned, I think I'm more equipped with the skill and knowledge and glad  to see the turnout of this bake. This bake was very beautiful, it's not too dark and not dry.  This time, I used two loaf pans since it's easier to give away.  I kept one of the cake for own consumption (as my maid and my daughter like it), the others had been given to my hubby's colleagues since I had not baked for them for a while.  Hope they still like it.

If you're interested, I've re-posted the recipe below.

Traditional Butter Cake 


Ingredients:
-     200g chilled Golden Churn butter
-     80g caster sugar
-     5 egg yolks
-     3 tbsp condense milk 
-     15g milk
-     1 tsp vanilla essence
-     1 tsp rum (optional)
-     150g cake flour (sifted)
-     1 tsp baking powder (sifted)
-     5 egg white
-     50g caster sugar


Method:Prep: lightly grease the base of Two 3.5*" 7" loaf cake tins and line bottom with baking paper. Oven at 160*C.

1. In a bowl, beat butter and sugar by machine until light and fluffy (3-4 mins).

2. Add the yolks one by one, beat well after each addition (don't overbeat)and then add the milk (both), vanilla essence and rum.
3. Fold sifted flour and baking powder into 2 to 3 batches and mix even.  Put aside.
4. Whisk egg whites, and then add in sugar into 2 to 3 times and beat till 80% stiff.
5. Use a big spatula, take 1/3 of the whites and gentle fold into the batter (from step 3), continue the remaining till well blended.  Don't over-do it or else, the whites will deflate.
6. Pour batter into prepared cake tin and bake at 160*C for 50-55 minutes until wooden skewer plunged into middle of cake comes out clean.   (if the top is over charred, cover with a foil)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails