A relative of my hubby family passed away on Friday morning due to heart failure, I feel sad as she was the only few who was closer to us. A couple months back, she was admitted to hospital and since then, she was bedridden. Just a week before, I heard about her improvement and was happy for her but didn't expect to receive her bad news so soon. Life is so unpredictable and fragile ! Hope her family can pull through this period and definitely, we will miss her!
My initial plan was to try out a few recipes during the weekend but we had to attend the wake of this deceased relative and therefore, I only did a simple cake. The step is quite similar to ordinary sponge cake, preparation time is about half an hour. Surprisingly, this cake is very good, it's light, moist and soft. I omitted the butter cream which supposed to be sandwiched in between the layers as I ran out of time but it still tastes good. I'll definitely bake again.
If you are a chiffon or sponge cake lover, you will like it. Join me!
Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake Recipe
- Prepare a 8" square baking pan lined with baking paper.
- Preheat oven at 170*C for 15 mins.
- 60g butter (microwave for 20 sec till melted)
- 80ml evaporated milk (microwave for 20 sec)
- 80g top or cake flour (sifted)
- 1 egg and 5 egg yolks (lighten beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 egg whites
- 115g sugar (can reduce to 110g if you spread cream in between)
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- Mix melted butter and hot milk together. Add in sifted flour and mix till well combined.
- Add in the beaten egg yolks and vanilla essence, mix till well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy (abt 40 sec). Add in sugar, cream of tartar and salt and continue to whip till stiff (another 2 mins).
- Take 1/3 of egg whites, mix well with above egg yolk batter. Take another 1/3 egg whites, repeat the same step. And same for the last 1/3 egg white. Don't overmix.
- Pour batter into fully lined baking pan.
- Bake at 170*C for 10 min and then reduce to 155*C for 35 mins.
- Remove from oven and overturn for 5 mins (to prevent cake from sinking) before unmould.
- You can cut the cake into half horizontally and spread a layer of buttercream if you prefer.