For most of the layered cake, I like to use this sponge cake recipe because it's very fluffy and light. Although this involes a bit more work, you will agree with me that the effort is worthwhile.
Since this recipe is a keeper, I decided to create a post for this so that for future layered cake that I bake , I will reference back to this post.
Ingredients (7” square or 8” round)
- 4 egg Yolks
- 40g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup (56g) Oil
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- 80g Cake/ Top Flour } sifted
- ½ tsp Baking power }
- 4 egg whites
- 90g castor sugar (cut down to 80g)
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar (can omit)
1. Mix egg yolks and sugar for 2 mins. Lighter in colour, pale yellow.
2. Microwave milk and oil for 20 sec and immediately stir into the egg yolk mixture (Step 1) with a hand whisk.
3. Add in vanilla essence and sifted flour. Stir till smooth.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks formed. Add in the sugar and cream of tartar, beat until stiff. Fold in 1/2 portion of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture (step 3) and mix well. Repeat the same step for the remaining egg whites. Mix well.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven at 160*C for 40 -50 mins.
6. Once bake, let it cool down.